6 Must Read Tips for Healthy Winter Hair


6 Must Read Tips for Healthy Winter Hair

Ah, Winter ... It's a wonderful time of year for you, but how about your hair?  Warm nights by the fire are lovely, except for that super dry air! Crisp walks in the snow could not be more refreshing, but who loves the static effect on your locks? And never mind accessorizing with all those chic hats ... the aftermath can be less than stylish!

But just as you change up your skincare routine for drier days with a richer moisturizer or a creamier cleanser, a few simple changes to your hair care routine can winterize your tresses and keep dry ends, flat looks, and static frizz at bay. 

Here are 6 easy tricks to winter-proof your hair:

1. Get Rich
Dry air and indoor heating can parch your hair during winter months, so switch your everyday shampoo and conditioner to a sulfate-free routine.  These cleansing agents, found in many shampoos, can strip moisture and colorant from hair - so moving away can keep your color fresh too! Look for products free of moisture-stripping sulfates and rich in ultra-hydrating monoi oil.

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Co-Wash
2. Skip A Day, The Cheater's WayIf you've heard about the benefit of skipping shampoo days but haven't yet given this a try, winter can be a great time to give your hair and scalp a break, allowing your own natural oils to rebalance. Scalp health is essential for great hair, and if your face gets dry in the winter, imagine the state of your poor head!  But don't worry, you don't have to actually avoid the shower ... I love a creamy cleansing conditioner like Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Co-Wash - it has just enough cleaning power to leave hair feeling refreshed, and just enough conditioning effect to leave it smooth without weighing it down.

3. Style, Don't Strip
If you can't leave home without sleek tresses, winter is the time to be extra vigilant about protecting your hair from the stress of heat styling. To lock in moisture while you're styling, try an at-home keratin treatment. Some hair straighteners and styling tools come with features that can actually help your hair, like: keratin packs, or spray through, leave-in, keratin treatment before firing up your favorite tool.

4. Do Double Duty
Winter air is usually low in humidity, which makes for static-y flyaways and, you guessed it, drier hair! I love saving time (and money) by picking up a moisture-rich hair cream, which doubles as a styling aid and conditioning pack. I use the lightest touch on hair before I throw on my knit hat, and about once weekly I apply it throughout my hair and wrap in a just-from-the-drier towel to create a deep moisture treatment.

Taya Amazon White Clay & Acacia Collagen Overnight Hair Plumper
5. Fight the Flat
Low humidity can also be torture for fine, thin hair, but that's nothing a good night's sleep won't cure ... I swear!  Taya Amazon White Clay & Acacia Collagen Overnight Hair Plumper works while you're sleeping to inject hair with va-va-voom volume by morning, and starting your style off right.

6. Good, To Go
Even if I'm not jetting off somewhere chic, I love to pick up a travel set or two for the winter season.  They offer great value and a chance to try something new - but even better, they ensure I have mini tress-tamers at my fingertips for those hat head moments when arriving at the office or an event.  Amika's Jet Set Hair Care Survival Kit contains their cult Obliphica Leave In Cream - perfect for smoothing frizzies.

With a few swaps and simple tricks, your hair will enjoy the wonders of winter as much as you do!

by Ann Colville Somm (HSN blog post)

Let's just say I have been doing tip number 2 since High School! I've been teased about it plenty, but nowadays it's a great little secret that more and more women are doing (I always knew I was onto something)! I can honestly go 4-5 days without washing my hair people--still wanna read my blog?!


I also love how Ann mentioned keeping our hair rich with moisturizing conditioners and treatments. I've even done some simple home remedy hair goodness that has helped my hair a lot. I wet it down, and add
2 eggs, (yes, I literally crack two eggs over my head), and mix that with a few tablespoons of vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes and my hair is so soft! The smell is less than desirable, but it's so worth it! I usually don't do this in the shower, because of the shells, so just do this over your kitchen sink.

I hadn't thought about buying travel kits of different hair products with the intention of trying something new--love that! I'll still pretend I'm going to Florida or something to get out of the Minnesota cold!


Let me know what you think of our winter hair care tips! And I'll see you next week when I finally publish my post on the infamous "Selfie", can't wait! I've missed my space here and all of you so much. Honestly, after being sick for 4 weeks, and the holidays, (which I seriously hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year), I just didn't have the energy to produce--but that doesn't mean I wasn't writing. See you soon!

Comments

Mandy Crandell said…
These are all really great tips! I wash my hair every couple of days, but the hair cream sounds like another great idea.

http://www.somethingmonumental.com/
Unknown said…
Aqua Mineral are offering our client an excellent quality Health Skin Care Products.
I would like to know more about this not washing your hair thing for four days! I'm trying to go every other day but it's hard. My hair gets really oily at the end of the no wash day. How long did it take you to adjust? I feel like I have to keep using dry shampoo, which is probably defeating the purpose. Also have you actually tried washing your hair with conditioner? Wouldn't there be a build up? What kind of conditioner and shampoo do you use. I've tried so many and have never found one I actually want to stick with. My hair is having issues since moving back to CO it's dry and full of static! Ok that's enough questions for now ;)
Natalie said…
Great Tips! I find that since my hair is super thick and curly the key for me in the winter is hot oil treatments.

Popular Posts